Re: [pyrnet] alpha position

Peggy,

My 4 mo. puppy bitch does the same thing.   I think that it is instinct for a
dominant dog to try - whether at this age or not they actually know what they
are doing is another ? for the long time pyr people here.   To watch a litter
of pups you will see this happen a lot - not all pups will do this.   Some
are dominant and some are submissive.

My 8 yr old  bitch will sometimes tolerate it and sometimes won't - I think
she can feel the difference when the pup is going too far.    She will let
the pup know and the pup will re-think her actions.   Is she challenging her
- I think if my bitch would let her have her way - the pup might grow into
thinking she's "top" bitch (I am the alpha).   Is she trying to figure out
where she ranks? - could be.    She does it with my male and he just walks
away from her.   She looks confused when he does this.   If she becomes
aggressive (charging him and jumping) he lets her know "that we don't play
that way here".

Do either of them hurt her - no.   But I would caution when they play it can
be too rough and the pup could accidentally get hurt.   I do not leave my
male alone with her not because I think he would intentionally hurt her but
he is rather on the large size and does get over zealous and "It's all in fun
until someone gets hurt" (something like that?).   It's interesting to watch
all three play - my elder bitch comes in between the my male and the puppy.
Maybe the list can share their thoughts on that scenario - I am afraid I
might give my bitch too much credit so I won't tell you MHO (vbg).

take care and it'll be interesting to hear the response
Dianne M. - Jersey Shore