Re: [pyrnet] HEALTH, CHAT: Clondike, the teenager!

David,

> We are cautiously optimistic that an antihistamine called
> Cyproheptadine may help improve her appetite.  It seems to
> be helping, but we'd be very interested in hearing from
> anyone else who has used this drug, as the
> optimum dose seems to be a great unknown (for dogs).

All I could find was this answer (from one of their DVMs) to a similar
question on vetinfo.com:

3) Appetite stimulation in dogs is frustrating. They don't respond as
      consistently to medications that work really well in cats.
      Cyproheptadine (Periactin Rx) is the medication that seems to
      work the best. Most people use around 1mg/kg two to three times
      a day, I think.

At Foster & Smith's site (I know, no veterinary icons, but its out
there), they only say to ask your vet for an appropriate dose - not
much help...

Why not just call around to all the clinics in the area asking about
the dose and compile a consensus avarage value recommended?

Take care, Patric.

=====
"Sage Advice Improves with Thyme"

Patric Lundberg, PhD