RE: [pyrnet] Re: Bathing (long!!)

Jan, here in the South (US that is), if you don't go in with a sparkling
clean Pyr, you'll be laughed out of the ring, or worse!  And here with the
red South Carolina/Georgia clay, that can be quite a job.

Personally, I would like to see less bathing, and whitening and overall
grooming (trimming, thinning, etc) being done on the Pyrs in the show ring.
Not all of them have a "white on white" coat.  Our one female is a bit more
biscuit colour, and even that is noticeable.  However I also know there are
quite a few Pyrs that are "blondes out of a bottle", and this is totally
unacceptable in my book!  But, if you want to "play this game", you have to
play with the rules as given.

So, right or wrong, I bathe for each show.  Generally, this is about once
to twice a month, and only on the dogs we're showing.  As you, we don't
scrimp on the shampoo or conditioner.  Also I rinse, and rinse, AND rinse
some more, to get all the shampoo residue out of the coat.  I personally
think that leaving any shampoo in the coat is more damaging than the type
used.

--- Robyn Allwright
--- ziffanyrobyn@earthlink.net
--- Ziffany Great Pyrenees