Re: [pyrnet] Luxating patellas and other problems

In a message dated 12/25/00 1:00:36 PM Pacific Standard Time,
lmweisser@olywa.net writes:

Is this a fact?  Is this hearsay?  I'm really not trying to be flip.  I
just also get tired of hearing that this that or the other person/breeder
had and/or saw dwarfs but there is never any substantiation, as in a third
party or an idenficication of the litter or how, why, where this
information was shared by the breeder and with whom.

I will be very happy to stay to this test of all this information that is
being reported as fact.  It is hearsay from Frankie to me.  So since Frankie
cannot tell you directly it hearsay that I am telling you.

<<I'm not entirely sure that it is more prevalent as a % of the population.
We may also have a reporting phenomenon going on here.  I think that it has
becoming increasingly acceptable and even comfortable to talk about dwarfs
and so we are seeing a lot more reporting and honesty.>>

Pure speculation as is my statement that it is more prevelent.  Pre breeding
to Bruno, et all, how many dwarfs did you see on the west coast Vs how many
you have observed since.  There are a lot more people breeding now and that
is precisely the problem.  The Dwarf carriers have and still are being used a
great deal.

<<The earliest absolutely confirmed report we have of dwarfs is 1969.  No
doubt they happened before, but unless someone reports dates, breedings,
source of information etc, it really is more hearsay no matter who talks
about it.>>

Seaver reported it at a GPCA Board meeting.  He identified the dogs involved.
 He and Edith looked carefully at the breeding and there were apparently
several others later that happened as well and identified the dogs involved
and it fits how it came on down to us to this day.  Seaver said he was
ignored then (his words) and I suppose when nothing is done about it, it does
get lost into the world of hearsay.  I never made any sence to me that a
breeder with the credentials, integrity, and reputation of Seaver and Edith
would not be taken seriously when they report these things, at least to the
point of looking at it for information and documentation purposes.

<<I think that it would be really great, but my understanding is that what is
possible on the computer in the Mal prediction system is to a great measure
the result of information obtained from a lot of test breedings, in
addition to word of mouth.  We simply to not have that kind of information.>>

Despite what "you think" the Mal people are doing it as evidenced by their
web page and I suppose we may never have the information if that is the way
we choose it.  Why could one group, much larger than us, accompolish such and
we leave it at "We simply to not have that kind of information"?

Joe