Re: [pyrnet] Pyrs without Dwarf producing ancestors

----- Original Message -----
From: <JGentzel@aol.com>

Who determines the need?  Are there objective criteria used in making the
determination? >>

I guess that the committee determines the need so to speak.  And the person
who calls one of us.  I have had a number of calls from people who are
concerned about their pedigrees and want to talk about risk and what is
known.  But those folks have to make some effort to contact us.  And no,
there are no objective criteria.  There is only some sense of whether they
are just "fishing" for any kind of "gossipy" general information or if they
really do have an issue.  And yes, you can criticize this approach til the
cows come home but you do not have to sit out here and balance all the
competing "needs" of people.  The need for information, the need for
privacy etc etc.

<< What about the new breeder or someone like Sharon just coming
into the breed without breed specific information?  Who tells them? >>

In the best of all worlds, which I know doesn't exist, the people who
mentored her in the breed tell her.  And if they don't have the specific
information they can help her determine where to get it.  One of the
biggest problems in any breed is the applalling lack of good mentors.

<< So any
request made for information that is denied or ignored is deemed not to
have
a need to know?>>

I have never denied anyone information when they have called me to ask.  I
will not, however, put that information here in a public forum or just send
it willy nilly to anyone who is curious.

Linda