Re: [pyrnet] Rescue Me- poem

Sissy, Welcome to the list!  With Pyr. pups you get a puppy that is so
breathtakingly beautiful, they can wrap you around their big baby paws!
And do!

Pyrs. can be barkers ( big time ) and it is something everyone needs to
be aware of before they actually get one.  Often it is one of the top
reasons for them needing to be re homed.  They are also gigantic pains
where fences are concerned.  On this list we speak frequently about
fencing.  It is not easy to keep a Pyr. contained.  Their natural desire
is to wander and take in larger territory.  They spend a great deal of
time figuring out ways to do this, and it is hard to come up with a Pyr.
worthy fencing system.  Like all big to giant breed pups, puppy chewing
can cause a fair amount of damage for a good long time.
I took four siblings in at one time, they chewed a hole through my
outside wall almost through  the exterior siding.  I got my dinette
redecorated  (& repaired ), but It wasn't what I planned on doing.

Obedience is always a plus for any big breed.  Makes life easier.   They
are smart and capable learners, but they are not going to knock
themselves out over it for you.  Traditionally they had to think for
themselves, so they are going to continue to question you.  Spay and
neuter at the correct age, makes life easier for you, and saves lives for
dogs.  Saves on the discussion of genetics and inherited diseases,
although we all should have some idea of what can occur in the breed.

Pyrs. are loving sweet pups that grow into loving big dogs.
They are wonderful in the home, they do shed, and must be brushed, they
are wonderful with kids.  Some can be reserved with strangers, all five
of mine are social butterflies and love to greet people.  I think a lot
of that though is how they see you handle people.  I sell fresh eggs, so
I can't afford to have mine be suspicious of everyone.

If there is anything specific, feel free to ask.  It's hard to know what
to tell someone.  Are you a previous dog owner?  Experience with the big
breeds?  Hope this helps a little, or at least gives you a place to ask
questions your concerned about.  Again, Welcome,  Cindy

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas

in the dog."  ~ Franz Kafka