[pyrnet] neighboors.

yes, boone does jump the four-foot fence. well, i wouldn't call it
jumping, exactly: that would be too lively a term. he really just stands
up, leans forward over the fence, and lets his body weight do the rest.
he will do this unless we are RIGHT next to him. if we stand at the top
of yard and wait for him to do his business, he is gone.
there is a creek down the street and a lake behind us, so he always comes
home happy and muddy.
most of the intolerant neighboors are dog owners. they have no idea how
pig-headed this breed is as far as roaming. they think that because he
gets out occasionally, that means we don't take care of him.
one neighboor called the aspca (who had the good sense not to do
anything) the week we tried an idea out of a pyr book that said to attach
a drag. the dogs in that book had old tires hanging from sturdy collars
to limit their ability to jump up. we knew that that would look strange,
so we tried a metal pole about a foot and a half wider than the dog. this
worked very well; boone stayed home and it was easy to attach to his
collar as we let him out. problem solved until this woman started calling
everyone in the neighborhood to tell them how awful and stupid we were.
our neighbor on the other side said that if the dog barks one time at
night, even from in the house, he will call the police and press charges.
i have explained and explained, and apologized and BAKED!!! for these
people. they see hubby working on the fence. they see us out back playing
with the dog. they know we have already spent hundreds of dollars on
fencing, but they are convinced it's us.
and thus ends my rant. thank you for listening.
cari from cincinnati
and boonie
 p.s. no, we can't afford to move.