Re: [pyrnet] pet store pups

> One of my neighbors just received a Lhasa Aphsa puppy as a birthday
present
> from her husband and children. It came from The "GENTLE GIANTS" pet store
> (unfortunate name) in the local mall. When my wife and I expressed our
horror
> that they had patronized a "PUPPY MILL," she told us that the sales
person
> told her husband that the "BREEDER" was a "LITTLE OLD LADY," who lived
"OUT
> OF STATE, SOMEWHERE OUT WEST."  My wife couldn't help laughing at that
> statement, and asked our neighbor if the guy also sold used cars.!!!!!

Several years ago, my co-worker bought a dashund puppy from a local pet
shop.  The owner of the pet shop was the breeder -- had the sire on the
property, although the female wasn't his.  According to the owner, the
litter was AKC registered, and the new owner would receive the necessary
paperwork to register the pup.  I don't remember all the gory details
relating to what my co-worker had to go through, but she never did get the
AKC paperwork for this pup.  By this time, she was very attached to the
little pup, and there was no way she would take it back.  Fortunately, the
dog has been healthy, so that part of the story ended well.  Still, in the
long run, my co-worker paid around $600 for a dog that is really
"worthless".

As a side note, this pet shop owner went out of business about 6 months
after this episode, only to re-open in a new location.  Unfortunately, he's
up to the same old thing -- "buyer beware".

--- Robyn Allwright
--- ziffanyrobyn@earthlink.net
--- Ziffany Great Pyrenees