Re: [pyrnet] Sande & dwarfs

lmweisser@olywa.net writes:

I have already sent this to Joe privately but i did find a source of this
kind of comment from Dr. Sande.  I finally found both of the evaluations of
the x-rays of the "normal" dwarf.  At the end of his letter concerning this
dog and his two affected litter mates and three unaffected was this
paragraph:

"Further, it is my opinion that if the Pyrenees breeders would agree to
welcome the dwarf puppies as lessr Pyrenees and market them as novelty
exotic pets, they could develop significant financial reward as well as be
able to quickly identify the carrier status of the breed.  Short of this,
the test breeding program will be extremely expensive and divisive."

Nothing about this statement leads me to believe that it was intended in
any
way to be tongue in cheek.  Given the above I have a hard time believing
that Sande believes that dwarf Pyrs have serious, painful, debilitating,
even crippling problems.

I also think that it says something interesting about his opinions of test
breeding programs, especially since he was directly involved with the one
for the Mal club.

I have waited several days to offer any information.  Linda and I have had
several emails secondary to the post.  Not sure we have agreed on much, but
that is what makes discussions stimulating i.e. different view points.

I am troubled by the written statements attributed to DR Sande.  I have asked
and been denied a copy of the full report to see the full context of same, so
what I say is at some disadvantage.

1.    My observations are that a phenotypical normal or near normal dog might
have a different comment than one more involved.  This report involved a
normal or near normal phenotypical Pyr.
2.    Assuming that Dr Sande's comments were directed to the whole of the
Dwarf population in Pyrs and by association I do not see him excluding other
breeds, I do not think this is what the breed wants or desires ("lesser
Pyrs").  Dr. Sande is a Scientist.  Scientists use animals in many ways and
by some observations not always in the most humane way.  So it might be
presumptive to assume that we "Given the above I have a hard time believing
that Sande believes that dwarf Pyrs have serious, painful, debilitating, even
crippling problems."  From the information given we simply do not know what
he believes and what he would find as acceptable in an effort to identify
carrier status.  There might very well be a huge difference in what he
considers acceptable and what most of us would accept.
3.  It does appear to be his opinion about the quickest cheapest way to get
to "quickly identify the carrier status of the breed."  I am at a
disadvantage here, but a Scientist may not have the same constraints and
perceptions of what is acceptable in getting to a result.  This is actually
not much different from test breeding, i.e., you produce affected animals
crippled or not in order to clear specific dogs.  So in reality DR Sande's
comments are no more or less than a test breeding but on a much larger scale.
 Obviously he has some different concerns for the breed characteristics than
some of us.  It appears he might think us rather shortsighted by possibly not
being open to such a suggestion.  He almost looks like he is throwing out
some financial inducements to do same.  Anyway, it is difficult to use such
limited information to draw such conclusions.  It is also very possibly not!
fair to DR Sande to speculate on such limited information one way or the
other about what he believes or thinks either as a scientist or otherwise.

Since it has been brought up as some endorsement and a presumed indication
that no crippled or suffering dogs would be produced, I cannot think that
would be a fair even deduction from such a limited statement.  That is not
what the few words said.  Pure speculation at best.

To me there is a bigger problem with bringing this information out like this.
 I have addressed this directly and not publicly, at least at this point in
time.

Joe