[pyrnet] CHAT, HEALTH: Bloodwork and Bo's Vet Exam

I had a CBC and SuperChem Bloodwork run on Bo yesterday and got
the results back today. (this is a yearly event for us) Also have
some interesting results. It seems his glucose level is 34 the
reference range is 70-138. My Vet believes this was an error due
to the blood waiting to be picked up. It seems that is blood
glucose falls below 40, dogs will seizure. Bo has not seizured.
So, I thought I would put this out there in case any of those of
you have seizuring dogs could use the info. If you have a dog
that seizures, it would be a good idea to run a full panel
bloodwork. Some other interesting results as well, but we will be
comparing them to his previous bloodwork as they are probably
related to his raw diet. Reference ranges are, generally
speaking, the average for all dogs. And, as most dogs are kibble
fed, this could be why there is such a difference. We will be
repeating the bloodwork in a couple of months, sooner if there
are related problems. BTW, he got a clean bill of health and now
weighs 112 LBS! Neutering sure turned on his appetite! My Vet
thinks he looks and feels great, I think he is fat. But then, I
like a dog on the lean side, especially as pups and when they get
older. (Bo is now 10 years old) I think it puts less stress on
growing joints and bones as well as less stress on old joints and
bones. I struggled for many years to get weight on this special
boy, and now he's on a diet!! Pyrs!! They always come up with new
ways to frustrate! <vbg>

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs), Flopsy (Pyr Shep) & Machin (Doxie)
bamb@monmouth.com