Re: [pyrnet] LGD breeders (was Shelters and Breeders)

In a message dated 1/26/01 8:32:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
lmweisser@home.com writes:

The ones that I have major problems with are the ones who buy their initial
LGDs knowing that they will breed.  And they do so.  Sometimes huge numbers
of pups which they convice people are going to be great LGDs because they
were raised in the general vicinity of some kind of livestock.  And, of
course, because Pyrs are Pyrs, most of these pups are indeed good workers.
And many of these people are more than happy to brag about the "show lines"
that they have either up close or in the past.

Yes, kind of like being a great dad or Mom because you can procreate, most of
it, 99%, happens anyway.  The task is daunting.  The one on one conversations
are the hardest and by numbers the less successful.  Everything said is true,
but when the American Dairy Goat Association (not sure of the official name
styling) recommends to its members that they 'not' buy dogs from show
breeders who control the GPCA, "Houston we have a problem."  That is
completely out of reach of making any headway.  Why does the American Dairy
Goat Association say such?  They believe the show breeder bred dog cannot
work.  If we continue to ignore these political groups we will loose the
breed to the mainstreet public and become more entrenched into our prima
donna status.

Joe