Re: [pyrnet] LGD breeders (was Shelters and Breeders)

In a message dated 1/29/01 12:44:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ziffanyrobyn@earthlink.net writes:

.  But I do like
to prove people wrong about what these dogs can and cannot do :-)

That is pretty easy to do as almost all work and work fairly well.  There
will be many like your guy, but there are also many like the folks who I have
become friends with and have gotten our Nubians from.  I can tell you that
the dairy that milks over 160 goats daily will get their dogs from me in the
future.  I know another dairy in North Carolina that will get their dogs from
either myself or a friend (or a recommendation there of), and I am selling a
puppy to a small operation near Wilmington have the top Alpines in the state
almost every show.  All these folks know and respect each other.  I can
assure you that we will get excellent "press" with these folks and these
folks have the respect of their Peers (no pun intended).  We have to come to
their level and respect them and what they are doing.  Be concerned about
their needs and get our prices in line with what is fair and affordable.  We
have to offer them something that helps their livelihood.  It is called
marketing and service.

I was at the Clemson event this year and there were some working dog breeders
there who also bred goats.  They are really not well equipped to represent
the breed fairly and their knowledge is quite shallow.  When you ask then
about genetic problems like dysplasia, they have little or no answers, but
the goat operators I am familiar are concerned and want to know about them.
We can and will if we choose have some success in this venue.  Question is,
does any group want to expend the resources or continue to lament the
situation.