Re: [pyrnet] New and want info on showing

    Do you mean the cover of the New Complete Great Pyrenees, published in 1991, updated from the 1977 version?  The dog on this cover is Ch. Ville Vieux Le Roi, HOF (listed on back cover), breeder/owner Anne Major Rappaport.  They do mention him on page 133 as a multiple Best In Show winner along with his sire and grandsire.  He's in my Kayla's (Staranch Maple Way Glori Be) 5th generation a few times.  He's pictured again on page 254 with his sire Ch. Ville Vieux Yankee Sunshine, HOF who's sire (Ch. Sunshine Of Karolaska, HOF/HOF) is pictured back on page 132 and 209.  I've also always rather liked Ch. Ville Vieux Limberlost Berry.
    As for the painting, the one up top I like although maybe a touch short muzzled, of course it's lying down.  The 1901, I've always thought resembled a furry greyhound....in the head anyway.
    Where did you find H'Echez?  I do think K'Eros is a little heavy, however, I believe it is Mary Crane stating on page 41 that he was of "correct Pyrenees type, not carrying the faults" mentioned on page 40 of coarse heads.

Chrissy

I wish I had Mary Cranes book as a reference, but unfortunately I don't.
I did find H'Echez de Guerveur, and K'Eros in Paul Strang's book, but could
not find J'Nive ll de Langladure in it. I have a couple of other pyr books
which I have loaned out, and will look to see if the other dog is in either
of them. I must say that I do find K'Eros to have a rather oversized head,
from what I read he was a very large dog in general. If you have a copy of
Paul Strang's book near, what do you think of the head, and "apparent"
composition of the dog on the cover?  Paul doesn't mention the dog in text;
but to me he seems large in structure, yet gives a definite elegant
appearance. Also there is a painting dated 1901 just on the inside of the
cover, although it could be the artist eye, this dog looks far different from
any pyr I've ever seen.  I'm still new enough to the breed to not have yet
formulated a true opinion on proper type, but I do find the subject very
interesting, and you're obviously much more knowledgeable on this subject
than I.  In judging conformation, I'm still taken aback at how 4 different
judges on 4 consecutive days can pick 4 different winners from the same group
of dogs. I guess opinion on type must vary largely on their level as well.

Charlie

Look at Mary Cranes book.  Page 341.  H'Echez de Guerveur.  Heavy head.
Bone
does not look to bad but a bit too much possibly.  Page 355 K'Eros de
Guerveur.  Awful head and too much bone possibly. Page 356 J'Nive II de
Langladure.  Awesome head (good head) and look at the bone.  This is what
it
is all about.  See the difference?  How many times you see this head in the
ring?

Joe