RE: [pyrnet] New and learning...

Hello Cindy,

Thanks for emailing.  Its reassuring to know we can share our problems with
someone. Yes, we're new on the list, though I've been reading the msgs for a
couple of months and have posted Chloe's pictures on
http://communities.msn.com/PyrfectPyrs.

Upto the time Chloe was 1 yr old, my husband and I were both working late
hours, and my son would be at home after school and take her in. She stayed
in the dog run alone while we were gone. Chloe would go for walks late at
night, when there was no traffic, so she got pretty much used to peaceful
surroundings. Even then, she was scared of the garbage trucks and huger
vehicles.    My son is 13 and tall, thus I can see that Chloe is okay with
taller people!  When she was about 5 mnths. old, a little girl came to our
house and shrieked when she saw Chloe and carried on for almost half an
hour!  Before that, Chloe was pretty much okay with kids, and after that,
not so.  We took her to the dog park quite a bit, and didn't realize that a
dog needs to acquaint themselves with people too. We completely missed out
on that bit and concentrated more on making her socialize with dogs, and
even there, could see that she stayed apart though she didn't mind the dogs.
And yes, she has been seeing a vet regularly since we got her and even they,
nor our friend who owns Pyrs saw anything unusual with Chloe except to say
she was timid. We had a private trainer come over once, but we didn't teach
Chloe anything much from what she told us to teach her except down, stand,
on the pavement (British English!).  She understands food, treat, walk, run,
etc.  Anyway, she  listens selectivly and when we first got her, I actually
thought she had hearing problems, until I read about other Pyrs, and saw
Chloe too was able to hear food packets rustle from far! One thing that we
noticed also was that she got very nervous if we tried to take a water bowl
to her and would shy away.  Otherwise also, she refuses to drink still water
and you have to give it to her fresh, or she drinks it from the lawn
outside. I'm pretty much 5 foot nothing, so I can't take her for walks alone
if she is not going to be co-operative.  So then, we still end up going out
in the evenings when it is quiet.

Well, this year onwards I'm a stay-at-home mom to a homo sapien teen + shy
dog and so life is exciting! Chloe and I get to spend prime time together.
Except that she won't walk anywhere if there seems to be too much activity.
She will be okay in the park next to our home when noone is around, but if
she hears children playing soccer or yelling there, will not want to go.  In
the car, she keeps ducking her head each time a large vehicle passes.  She
receives people at home by barking her head off at first, while retreating
upstairs, and then comes on over to sniff them and wants to be pretty much
around.  She has started accepting babies too and won't run from them.  But
I can see she doesn't really enjoy the experience, and kids who walk are too
much for her!  The malls/grocer stores, etc. terrify her.

I'm going to keep in mind yr suggestion that we should not fuss over her or
baby her when she is scared.  And to take her out anyway. And go for a group
obedience class. Do let me know if you have any more ideas.

Neema