Re: [pyrnet] Separation anxiety in re: neutering

You will also want to consider the behavioral benefits of neutering.
Males are much less likely to want to roam (and I mean roaming in search
of "love", not your typical pyr roaming territory).  Most dead dogs found
on the road are unneutered males.  Neutering can also help with aggression
and dominance.  Your dog is heading into his adolescence "teenage years"
with raging hormones when dogs typically challenge more and can be general
buttheads.  Neutering can only help, not hurt, getting through those
times.

As far as him missing his testicles, I think that that may be a little
anthropomorphic.  I know many rescue dogs that were neutered anywhere
between 2 yrs. and 5 yrs. with no emotional scars.  Sure, I imagine they
would go looking back there for them, and I also imagine they would notice
their testicles missing.  I don't think, though, that they become upset or
depressed.  They don't know what testicles are.  I have seen ads for those
neuticles.  Personally, I think it's kind of silly, but whatever floats
your boat, right?

In short, neutering can only help to improve a dog's behavior.  I can't
think of any bad points.  If your not interested in showing, I would
definitely do it.

Angela
Lia (pyr), Shira (golden), and Addie (newf)