Re: [pyrnet] rainy weather

Merri wrote: <<I didn't know that chickens warded off sand fleas.
Good to know. :o)>>

They eat the fleas, and Guinea hens eat ticks!

<<Did you let them run around, and eat them, or ...
Did you have a coupe? >>

We had a coop, but we let them have free run of the yard every
day.

<<Sorry to hear about your sod. >>

Oh well, we sold the house anyway, so it matters not, anymore.
:-)

<<I would have been disappointed too, but how did you get it to
take?>>

Lot's and lots of water! I got up every morning at 5 AM to move
the sprinkler that my husband had turned on at 4:15 AM when he
left for work! Watered every evening as well! Thank God for the
well. If we'd had to use city water, the water bill would have
been astronomical! (probably would have died too, from the
chloring in the water!) Oh, and most importantly, get sod that is
grown in the type of soil on which you'll be putting it. Prepare
the soil first as well. We turned it all over with shovels, limed
heavily (we had years of oak leaves that turned the soil acidic,
and soil is acidic in the Northeast, anyway) and we used natural
fertilizer, not chemicals. Never had any weeds either. We had a
LOT of shade, from that huge old oak tree as well as the rest of
the oaks, so I bought fescue sod, which does VERY well in the
shade. (however, fescue is NOT good for mares if they are in
foal, it can and does cause them to abort! Not sure about other
grazers)

<<Is there a complex rooting system that the grass has to have
right from the beginning.>>

Sod comes with a full root system. The trick is giving it plenty
of water so it will "take". In sand, the water will not "hold" so
you need to water VERY often, until it is well established.

<<Was it just regular grass? Or a specific type?>>

Fescue because of all the shade.

<<I know...you are saying this person sure has a bunch of
questions...lol We are considering a move to sandy soil, so hence
the questions.>>

Someday I'll tell you how I built my garden beds, located outside
the fence (due to Pyrs) next to the road. These were built in
gravel that had been parked on for 30 years! Talk about back
breaking labor! LOL! Sometimes I wish I still had an interest in
gardening, but then I look at the dogs, and well, ther's just no
contest! <vbg> Even did my own soil PH testing as well as
nutrient testing, mixed my own fertilizer depending on the
results, etc. Grew my own annuals from seeds, the whole bit.
Then, the Pyrs came in larger numbers and the greenhouse room
became the whelping room. Was a LOT more fun growing puppies, but
sending them off to their new homes was quite difficult. I cried
each time one left. They each took a small piece of my heart with
them. Good thing I only had the 2 litters!

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs), Flopsy (Pyr Shep) & Machin (Doxie)
bamb@monmouth.com