Re: [pyrnet]Reply/ Joe/Hi,I'm new here

Title: Re: [pyrnet]Reply/ Joe/Hi,I'm new here
----------
Joe asked:
What did the breeder say about this? Have you contacted any other owners of
litter mates to see if they have any similar problems. Has the breeder ever
seen this in Parents or other related offspring?
-
Unfortunately the breeders seem to have fallen off the face of the earth, and they are not listed with the breed association as breeders- but luckily, recently I found out that my vet have clients that own one of Zeus's siblings (from the next litter) He asked them to call me and they did. They have none of these problems. They also put me in touch with an owner if a pup from the same litter as Zeus, although they own a female, they also have seen no aggression from her, neither has friends of theirs who also own a female from that litter. As for the rest, I don't know.
Believe me, I have tried everything to find out what has caused this. My vet said that it may not be hereditary, but something that may have happened in utero, some trauma he had as a young pup etc.
Joe wrote:
If scratches on the face from his teeth are some indicator of "he showed
great bite inhibition" what level of injury will indicate that the dog does
not show "great bite inhibition"? Maybe you got lucky this one time?
-
When he goes after my other dog for being near his food, he grabs her by the fur, never breaking the skin, her skin is much thicker than my childs. If he had wanted to hurt her and not only warn her to "back off" He would have done so, no matter how fast you think a three year old can move out of a 120 lb dogs way!
Have you not witnessed another dog correcting a pup for something? Their intent is not to kill, but to correct. Hence bite inhibition.
Obviously a dog has no right to correct a human being, but this is where I failed, I should never have allowed a small child(any child, but especially one with a history of annoying animals) to be alone with a 120lb puppy brain, not even for a second.
This is a mistake I won't be repeating.
Joe wrote:
Why not consider placing this dog somewhere where there are not venerable children?
This dog might be a very good guardian on a farm. As someone said, there are
many great dogs that need and deserve a home and are not a mortal threat to
our children.
- I have considered it, and maybe after I do everything possible to correct this problem, If I feel then that I can not positively insure my children's safety, I'll consider it again.
But if I do, how can I be assured that he will never be alone with someone else children?
That he would go to someone that thoroughly understands how to insure everyones safety?
Pyr rescue is not an option as I've been told, that they won't be able to place an dog with a history of aggression, especially towards a child. Frankly, I can't blame them.
I really do appreciate your concern for my kids safety, but let me once again say, that I won't let my love for this dog cloud my judgement concerning my children's lives.
Respectfully,
Sariena Foley
Ontario canada