Re: [pyrnet]Reply/ Joe/Hi,I'm new here

In a message dated 5/22/01 11:38:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time, rene1@sprint.ca
writes:

-Unfortunately the breeders seem to have fallen off the face of the earth

How did you find the initially?  Cannot you go back to their house?

<<. My vet said that it may not be hereditary, but something that may have
happened in utero, some trauma he had as a young pup etc. >>

Yes, and just a likely not. Right?

<<. If he had wanted to hurt her and not only warn her to "back off" He would
have done so, no matter how fast you think a three year old can move out of a
120 lb dogs way!>>

Yes, and you would have a real tragedy on your hands.  More than likely then
you could not explain away the unacceptable behavior of the dog.  Pyrs do not
attack children.  The younger the less likely this is to happen.  Even
thought your dog is a puppy basically, (you are likely very lucky it is, as
an adult might not have stopped at the facial scratches), these instincts are
very basic in the Pyr.  The action you describe is very serious for this
breed. Let me say it again.  It is very serious for a Pyr to attack a three
year old child even if the resultant damage is only facial scratches.

<<Have you not witnessed another dog correcting a pup for something? >>

You equate this to a correction?  Not!!  This was aggression towards your
three year old child.  If it was not, why are you concerned then at all?  Why
have you invited us to give you our experience in such things?

<<, but this is where I failed, I should never have allowed a small child(any
child, but especially one with a history of annoying animals) to be alone
with a 120lb puppy brain, not even for a second.>>

Having said that, the fact remains that Pyrs of any age do not attack three
year old children.

<<But if I do, how can I be assured that he will never be alone with someone
else children? >>

Working dogs do not see three year olds at refrigerators.  If you feel the
dog is that dangerous, why are we having this discussion at all.  Is dog is
so dangerous you could never allow it the most remote possibility of being
around any other children, but you can guarantee you will never have any
circumstance occur that the child is ever with the dog again out of your
sight?  Having had six children, that would be almost impossible to
guarantee.  Why have a guardian dog that you have to guard against anyway?
This is not normal behavior in any sense of the word or a Pyr.

<<I think that I have established that I'm the Alpha, but it is regarding the
children that is the problem. I don't think that it will be ever possible to
teach a 3,6,&7 year old to assert the authority needed to show that they are
Alpha also. >>

This is where you are missing it completely.  You do not need to teach a Pyr
these things, even an older puppy.  If there had been an adult Pyr present
Zeus would have gotten the beating of his life when he went after the three
year old.  There is no dominance issue with Pyrs toward the young, small,
very old, infirmed, weak, etc.  They are amazing in that respect.  Let me
give you an example (and not a real good one at that) that just occurred
couple weeks ago.  We have an old dog that is entering the frail stage of
life.  (By the way when my grandson sits on him and hurts his old bones, he
only moves away, but mostly tolerates this when we cannot stop it quick
enough.)  One of the house dogs is a PBGV, who really does not need anyone to
take up for her.  This day, the PBGV dared to go near an Adult Pyr Bitches
food and got a good stern growl with a quick nip.  The PBGV was unfazed, but
the old dog was up off the floor in a flash and had the young very strong
bitch pinned on the floor.  The bitch thought she would not take this from
this old man and decided she would not relent.  It did not take the old man
very long and without any blood except from his old gums to quiet her.  All
this in a flash, but the bitch will not growl or go after the PBGV again.
The rules are reinforced, she, the PBGV, is smaller and weaker and it is my
job as a Pyr to protect and safeguard this smaller dog.  Now this was dog
stuff and pack related, but so Pyrenean in nature.  Anyone who has owned one
can sooner or later relate some similar story.  When you see an adult male
dog, gently lay down in the field by a new born goat and clean it tenderly
and keep it warm only to have been minutes before providing chase against an
intruder, you know you have a special creature in Gods great kingdom of
animals.

Joe