Re: [pyrnet] A long story...

First of all, Jerry, let me say how awful i feel for you and your loss of
Elmo. There are those dogs that touch our hearts more than others and its
just the same as loosing any family member when they pass on.
as for Angus, this is such a scary place to be in. I have told this tale here
before but I dont know if you saw it. I had a rescue pyr that moved up the
pack order in my home of 4 dogs and attacked and injured my greyhound. The
first time i decided it was over food and was careful not to let it them near
food together. The second time was brutal and I feel so ashamed that I let it
happen again and put my beloved grey in jeopardy. Fortunately this rescue was
good with people. Some may be reading this and saying that a dogs
relationship to other dogs has nothing to do with their relationship with
people. I totally agree with that but my point is that Angus's aggression was
with a person and if it happened again it could be more serious and its very
hard to forgive oneself when you feel you should have put a dog down after
the first time. I would NEVER feel safe with him around children again and
practically speaking, how do you keep a dog away from ALL children for the
rest of its life? Its not practical, easy or safe. It's a time bomb ticking
in my opinion.  My rescue was of pet shop breeding and in my mind that helps
contribute to unstableness in a dog.
    As for the question of the vet's comment, how absurd!  Not all of any
breed is dangerous. My pyrs were always wonderful with the vet, wonderful in
nursing homes and around people. I have never dealt with a pyr that was
aggressive without cause. Even the rescue I had the problem with suffered
from chronic ear infections and was good at the vet when he tried to take
care of the painful problem.