Re: [pyrnet] Cruciate Ligament Disease

lmweisser@home.com writes:

.  It is not uncommon to see the onset of PL in dogs in
their teens.  From 10-16 or so months.  It will be interesting if we can
ever find out if these two onsets (puppy and teen) have different genetic
mechanisms.  Puppy luxations tend to be medial (as are almost all in small
breeds) but older luxations tend to be lateral.  Also, there may be some
link between PL and cruciate ruptures.

Have never seen this in Pyrs in 30 years keeping about 30 dogs much of that
time.  Get another opinion as "disease" more than implies an active process
one would think was degenerative in nature by the way the term is used.  We
also never see PL here  except in one inbred litter from an outside male who
we later found out was from a line that had the problem so it is not
surprise.  These dogs and the get have since been eliminated completely from
our breeding program.
I am interested in the information offered about different dislocations
relative age.  Is there some data that one can look at or is this a general
observation?  To have lateral dislocations involves either a significant bony
change or an abnormal bony development or possibly an injury.  The injury
would make the cruciate damage the more severe of the two conditions.  So I
cannot envision seeing a lateral PL that was caused by a cruciate damage
condition without seeing severe knee problems as well.  Rehab on lateral
displacement PL in humans involve selectively strengthening the Quadriceps
especially the medial quadriceps and more specifically the distal fibers.
This is of course much more difficult in our dogs, but the physics and body
mechanics remain essentially the same.  My point being I am not sure how you
would see the lateral PL in older dogs without diagnosed other observed and
noted problems i.e. bony damage or lack of normal development or possibly
internal knee damage (but the knee damage would be the greater problem
clearly).

Joe

Joe