Re: [pyrnet] Onions and Grapes and Raisins Oh My!

While doing a www.dogpile.com search for toxicity and onions, I came upon
this site.  Dogpile is a nice compilation of search engines and offers a lot
more results from varied sites.  Plus it says "Fetch" instead of go and
since we're all dog lovers...

Julie

http://www.vetinfo.com/doginfo.html

Grape and raisin poisonings in Dogs

Recently, there was a letter in the AVMA Journal from Dr. Gwaltney-Brant and
others at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center discussing grape and raisin
poisoning in dogs. Apparently, grapes and raisins can be toxic to dogs when
ingested in large quantities.

The grapes and raisins came from varied sources, including being eaten off
the vine directly. The dogs exhibited gastrointestinal signs including
vomiting and diarrhea and then signs of kidney failure with an onset of
severe kidney signs starting about 24 hours after ingestion of the grapes or
raisins. The amount of grapes eaten varied between 9oz. and 2 lbs., which
worked out to be between 0.41 and 1.1 oz/kg of body weight. Two dogs died
directly from the toxicity, three were euthanized due to poor response to
treatment and five dogs lived. Due to the severity of the signs and the
potential for death, the veterinarians as the poison control center advocate
aggressive treatment for any dogs suggested of ingesting excessive amounts
of grapes or raisins, including inducing vomiting, stomach lavage (stomach
pumping) and administration of activated charcoal, followed by intravenous
fluid therapy for at least 48 hours or as indicated based on the results of
blood tests for kidney damage.

I have fed my dogs a few grapes every now and then for years, so I don't
think there is a need to panic if a dog eats three or four grapes but if the
whole bunch is missing from the table one day, it would be good to think
about watching for any signs of a toxic reaction.

Michael Richards, DVM
6/5/2001
--
"Be strong, believe in who you are; be strong, believe in what you feel."
"Speak true!"

http://homepage.mac.com/raven4luck/