[pyrnet] Onions

Hi Tea,

Onions can be toxic to dogs. It causes Heinz bodies anemia.
My recent readings on this claim that Tylenol can do the same thing.

The older findings indicated that to cause this, a dog must consume
a large amounts of them - or a moderate amount over a period of
time (the effects are cumulative). And while I don't remember
the percentage, I calculated that an average Pyr (at 100 lb)
would have to eat a full pound of onions to reach the toxic stage. Some recent
reports indicate that certain breeds are more susceptible - particularly
the Japanese breeds.

Onions are very powerful anti-oxidants and I have aways cooked
with them. As a result my dogs have always eaten them as part of
their meals. We never had a problem, but again, the amount is
minimal - perhaps one medium onion for 4 portions. And not
daily.

I do not know what the signs you need to watch for, but I do know
that the reactions is not immediate. If you go to yahoo and search
on dogs+toxic+onions you may be able to find that answer.

Regards,

Carol
www.naturaldogfood.com