Re: [pyrnet] Onions

And one last site truly about onions focused on Boxers but true for all dogs
and cats.

Julie

http://www.erinet.com/ghost/onion.htm

Just Say "NO" to Onions!
By
Dr. Wendy Wallner Whirlwind Boxers

Onions are toxic to dogs. The toxicity is dose dependent, so the bigger the
animal, the more onion need be consumed to cause a toxicity. Onion toxicity
causes a Heinz body anemia. Heinz bodies are small bubble-like projections
which protrude from a red blood cell and can be seen when the cells are
stained. This "bubble" is a weak spot in the red blood cell and, therefore,
the cell has a decreased life-span and ruptures prematurely.

If numerous red cells are affected and rupture, anemia can result. It is a
form of hemolytic anemia. Onions are only one of the substances which can
cause Heinz body anemia. Other substances such as Acetominophen (Tylenol)
and benzocaine-containing topical preparations can also cause Heinz body
anemia in the dog.

The toxic effect of the onions are the same whether the product is raw,
cooked or dehydrated. The hemolytic episode usually occurs several days
after onion ingestion (lowest hematocrit around day 5 post ingestion). Daily
feeding of onions could have a cumulative effect due to ongoing formation of
Heinz bodies versus a single exposure with a wide gap until the next
exposure, allowing the bone marrow time to regenerate the prematurely
destroyed red cells.

The cat is even more susceptible. Recently, Gerber began to add onion powder
to all its meat baby foods. They are labeled as "better tasting". Since baby
food is often used in sick cats that are not eating (to stimulate their
appetites), there was concern that the onion powder would cause a Heinz body
anemia in these cats. Within a week or two of the change, there were
numerous reports of Heinz body anemia in cats receiving Gerber baby food in
their diets.

I strongly recommend NO ONIONS for dogs. There is no benefit and certainly
the potential to cause harm.

Copyright 1997 Wendy Wallner, DVM

Author's note: As of winter of 1998, the onion powder seems to have been
removed from the Gerber recipe. The safest thing to do is check the label on
baby food -- and any food you routinely provide for your Boxers.

--
"Be strong, believe in who you are; be strong, believe in what you feel."
"Speak true!"

http://homepage.mac.com/raven4luck/