[pyrnet] Teenage dogs

At 12:01 AM 12/07/2001 -0500, you wrote:

Rhonda Collins wrote:<<Why IS it that I can take him places where there are scads of people and animals and he minds (for the most part) fairly well, but in class he forgets everything and suddenly becomes hearing disabled?>>

LOL! Because he's a Pyr! Pyrs LIVE to embarrass us in obedience classes. And how old is Newman again? Sounds like he might be entering his "teenage" phase. Lucky you. <G>

Barb Bowes

Oh, yeah...he's 7 1/2 months worth of piss n' vinegar as my Grandpa would've said. Whereas before when I called him, he'd come bouncing to see me, now he glances over, sniffs, and ignores me. I go to get him and he plays keep away, with him the item to "keep away" from me.  I say "kennel", he goes to the bathroom. I say "bathroom" he goes to the kennel, or outside, or anywhere he damn well pleases. Then we play "keep away".  He un-decorates the Christmas tree, (rearranging hand-made ornaments into tiny scraps spread all over the living room) unwraps the packages, helps the sock monster ruin our sock stash, and puts me on Martha Stewart's hit list. The trainer says, "Try a sit-stay...stand on one end of the leash and tell him to sit-stay."  Yeah, sure. What does SHE know? SHE isn't 120 lbs with a 100 lb dog on the other end of that leash. <picture rhonda doing a double flip as Newman takes off like a rocket to see what DELIGHTFUL thing that is 20 yards away>.  She says, "Don't let him pull on the leash" as he suddenly takes it into his head to zoom across the street <thank God there were no cars coming>, towing me after him as if I'm on roller skates! (hey, dog...ever hear of a head collar? Well you have NOW!)

I used to threaten to lock my teenage CHILDREN in the closet. Unfortunately, that was illegal. Thank God kennels are NOT!

Now...it's 12:41 am. He woke me up barking up a storm from the bathroom (where he usually sleeps at night...and QUIETLY, I might add), so I let him out to poop...not that he really needed to go. Since I refused to play keep away, I came in to answer e-mail until he came in looking for me, then sent him back to his "room" to bed. I am headed back to bed myself, and if he wakes me again, I may greet him with a baseball bat....Grrrrrrr.  It's back to "Puppy 101".

Right now, Barb, I do NOT like my dog. LOL.