[pyrnet] Re: Pyr's narrow excape

 From www.ananova.com 28 November 2001

Dog swallowed by street sweeper

A dog had a lucky escape after being scooped up by a street sweeper in
Missouri.

The white Great Pyrenees became jammed between the conveyor belt and broom.

Local authority workers in Jefferson City rescued Zoe, who just needed some
painkillers and a shampoo.

Her owner Gene Fee last saw 125-pound Zoe racing towards the street
sweeper. The 70-year-old went home thinking her pet had been killed.

But John Reutter, who had been driving behind the sweeper, told the driver
to stop and then called for help.

He got on the truck and looked inside between the conveyor and the broom.
"And there she was standing there, looking up", stuck in a small space,
held above the ground, he told the St Louis Post-Dispatch.

Within 10 minutes, six local authority workers turned up and removed the
bolts, hinges and broom. Twenty minutes later, a blackened Zoe walked from
an opening they created under the truck.

"She came out and wanted to be petted and reassured," Mr Reutter said. "I
expected a small dog. But here was this beautiful, white dog, covered with
dirt and grease."

An animal control officer who arrived with the city workers found a phone
number on Zoe's collar and called Mr Fee.

                                    Story filed: 07:21 Wednesday 28th
November 2001

Dr. Shirley McGreal, Chairwoman
International Primate Protection League
POB 766, Summerville SC 29484-0766, USA
Ph. 843-871-2280 Fax. 843-871-7988
E-mail: ippl@awod.com. Website www.ippl.org

"We need not think alike to love alike."  Francis David