Re: [pyrnet] Barf diet?

COOKED chicken bones cause problems. Necks and backs have bones
that are actually quite soft when fed raw. I do not BARF my dogs.
But I know people who do so, and their pearly whites are so
pearly white, they'll blind you! <vbg> Rarely, if ever, need to
get the dog a teeth cleaning at the Vet on the BARF diet.
Generally, chicken necks/backs/etc. are purchased by the 40 lb.
box. About $0.29 a pound. Depending on the dog, 3 or 4 necks a
day is about all it takes. Plus the veggies, which are generally
more expensive, unless you live in close proximity to a juice
bar. Then you can buy their vegetable pulp rather cheap and do
not need to buy your own juicer. Supplements vary depending on
the type of foods fed in the diet. Fish and/or fish oil is also
fed. Vitamins E, C, and B as well as I recall. some yogurt on
occasion. But the diet is more bones than meat. Feeding raw is
much better as you do not lose the nutrients by cooking. sorry,
no time for more now, and there are others herre who feed the
diet and are much more learned that I about how it works. Then
there was the story told on the BARFPyrs list. Woman went to pick
up her chicken necks, got the 40 lb. box home, and found out
there were 40 lbs. of chicken FEET! Boy, was she surprised! LOL!

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs), Flopsy (Pyr Shep) & Machin (Doxie)
bamb@monmouth.com