Re: [pyrnet] BARF diet

<<I tried something like that call Oma's Pride. I won $25.00 worth of that
product from a local meat distributor at a town fair. I tried Pico on it for
at least two weeks, but it never agreed with him. He has always had a tender
tummy, so I made sure that I gave it plenty of time. It was obviously not
for him.>>Elaine

Sometimes the raw 'mixes' are not a good way to start.  Particularly if the
dog has a sensitive stomach to begin with.  Often it is too much variety too
soon.  Were you feeding kibble at the same time?  Often this can also
actually cause more problems and 'slow down' a comfortable switch and is
therefore most often not recommended.

The most succesful way to introduce raw foods for most people is a 'slow
cold turkey' switch.  In this method  The dog is fed one type of food - the
most often suggested is chicken raw meaty bones (like necks/wings/backs
etc - low fat to begin with) and only that food for at least a week or two.
Some canned pumpkin and/or yoghurt may be fed as well but that is usually
it.  (Dogs with very sensitive stomachs may benefit from something like a
digestive enzyme for a few weeks though).  Once the dog is happily eating
this with now problem, other foods can be added slowly one at a time in
small quanities over the coming weeks.  Once the dog is happily eating a
range of foods, THEN may be the time to use the more convenient 'mixes' if
so desired.  In this manner many have made a successful switch to raw
foods - including with dogs with problems such as IBD/IBS and other
gastrointestinal problems.

Tracy Bassett
Murrumbateman, Australia
espinay@bigpond.com