Re: [pyrnet] Family jewels

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sariena" <s.foley@sympatico.ca>

<<MAYBE he would never gotten a tumour. I have read the chemical
changes which occur at puberty, can cause tumours, especially in the
pituitary gland.>>

This is really pretty unlikely.  The only cases of links between altering
and cancer concern cancers later in age.  What might be pretty startling to
people is that there is an apparent link between altering and increased risk
of bone cancer.

<<His behaviour started changing for the worse, just as puberty hit,>>

The behavior of most males changes as puberty hits !!  Even neutered males
have some of these syndroms.  If they live through it, they usually come out
of the other end as nice "guys".

There really are very few proven medical reasons for altering.  Spaying
bitches *before* their first heat radically reduces the chances of breast
cancer.  Neutering males absolutely eliminates testicular cancer.  Beyond
that it's mostly a crap shoot.

All that being said, Tea's argument is the strongest of all.  I never sell
pets or working dogs unless they are altered (before they go) and if I were
not breeding dogs, I would not own an unaltered animal.  All my cats are
neutered.

Linda