Re: RE: [pyrnet] Family jewels

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nancy K" <nakhere@hotmail.com>

<<...because of the reoccurance of those tumors and
the surgeries necessary to remove them, he suffered miserably.. it was
ultimately the cause of his death. Because he was old, he never made it thru
the last surgery without encountering a probable brain clot.>>

I am sorry to hear that Thor suffered so miserably.  This scenario is not
common with the treatment of perianal adenomas.  If the dog is kept intact
after the first surgery they generally do recur.  The incidence of
recurrence in dogs that are neutered at the initial surgery for the problem
is very low.  How many surgeries did Thor have?  Did the vet suggest the
first time that he be neutered?  Was that done?  Whatever happened this was
obviously hard on both of you.

<< So, yes, human
relationships are more important than most everything but a simple neuter
could prevent many health problems.>>

I wasn't arguing that point.  Although the number of health problems
prevented by neutering is probably lower than most people believe.  I was
simply saying that I have a "problem" with lying and deception in a
relationship in preference to neutering the dog.

<< As GPCA Health person, I'm sure you know
about all the things, including prostate cancer,>>

Actually prostate cancer is not one of the health issues most avoided by
neutering.  Prostate cancer in very rare.  Here's a quote about prostate
cancer from a medical source.

||  Prostatic cancer.  This form is much less common than all of the others.
[forms of prostate problems]  It may be associated with hormones from the
testicles, adrenal glands, or pituitary glands or it may occur without any
association with hormones.
.  Prostatic cancer does not respond well to any currently used form of
treatment.  If it is associated with an excess of a hormone, castration may
be beneficial; however, most are not and metastasize rather easily to other
parts of the body.  The prognosis for these is usually poor.||

<< that could be avoided by
simply doing what is right for the regular "pet quality" Pyr. >>

Much rarer than we think.  And if these procedures are beneficial in
avoiding medical problems, what do we say of those breeders and exhibitors
who persist in keeping their dogs intact despite endangering their health??

<<Taking on pet
ownership means taking on the responsibility to protect that pet from
illnesses you can prevent. >>

Absolutely!!  The issue here is how much illness is actually prevented by
altering.  And how much one can deceive to have it done.

Linda