[pyrnet] ProHeart 6

I don't know if any of you have used this new heartworm preventative yet
this year; but, I had a really big problem with my rescue Pyr, 4 yr old
Eiger. He got the shot last Friday morning and has suffered a huge reaction
to the med. He was pooping water, peeing water, and wouldn't drink anything
for almost two days. He cried about every 10 minutes all night long. When I
turned the light on, he was laying on his side flat out on the floor and
crying his little heart out. I tried pepto and kaopectate but nothing
helped. When I got up for the last time at about 6am this morning, I decided
to out to the web. I knew he wasn't sick before he went to the vet so,
either the anesthesia, heartworm meds, or Lyme meds were causing the
problem. I went out to the Fort Dodge website and looked up the new six
month heartworm shot (ProHeart 6) and I found the answer. I'm attaching the
segment where they talk about side effects...
------------------
ADVERSE REACTIONS

Some dogs treated with ProHeart 6 in laboratory effectiveness studies
developed transient, localized inflammatory injection site reactions. These
injection site reactions were visible grossly for up to 3 weeks after
injection. Histologically, well-defined granulomas were observed in some
dogs at approximately 5 months after injection.

In clinical field trials, the following adverse reactions were observed in
approximately 1% of 280 dogs treated with ProHeart 6: vomiting, diarrhea,
listlessness, weight loss, seizures, injection site pruritis, and elevated
body temperature.

To report suspected adverse reactions or to obtain technical assistance,
call (800) 533-8536.
----------------------------------

We had everything but the seizures (thank God). I called the 800 number from
work and spoke to a vet there. He wouldn't give me much in the way of
answers but I talked my vet into calling him. They said they would pay for
all the blood tests and medicine needed to help Eiger get back up on the
road. I left work and took him back in. They gave him a huge shot of
anti-inflamatory stuff, something that folks get that are allergic to bee
stings, and something to calm his stomach back down so he'd stop retching
along with an antibiotic, I think. They took a bunch of blood, gave me some
KP stuff (like a really thick kaopectate) and two cans of vet prescription
bland canned food. I took him back home and headed back to work. I left
after I got a half day in to find three lovely piles of puke. Yippee!! My
house smells soooo bad!!

At 4:30 this aft, I gave him a huge glob of the kaopectate stuff and he
didn't throw it up!!! After an hour, I gave him more. Now I'm suppose to
give him a tablespoon of the canned food once an hour. Since I had opened up
a can of pumpkin trying to get him settled down, I'm going to give that to
him too. It's supposed to help end the runs too. At 6pm, I gave him about a
tablespoon of each. I'm supposed to repeat that every hour. Well, we'll see
about that. I've been up almost all weekend trying everything I could think
of to get him straightened out. I've got more puke stains in my living rug
than I care to think about. Thank God for Resolve carpet cleaner.. Pepto
doesn't come out very well.

This new ProHeart 6 shot appears to have caused this reaction in him. My vet
said about 1200 dogs have been vaccinated with it in our area this year and
he hasn't heard of any problems like this. I wanted to pass this onto you in
case you hear of anyone else having a problem with their Pyr. I've had
problems with Rimadyl and now this. Take the advice for what it's worth.