Re: [pyrnet] Dog attack

Marie,

a heart felt ditto to your response here... on my emotional level.

I am curious why a breeder would be posting this questionaire?

 As they supplied the Guardian dog to the farmer they should have educated the owner that young dogs need training.

I have no direct experience with dogs in a working enviroment, mine are pets and the thought of a trade off of their lives for another offends me.  It would seem to me that the value of the Guardian dog is greater then a few of the stock. This is not by any means a devaluation of the animals the dog is guarding, however there is only one dog to guard a flock of more then five (I believe there were five goats killed or injured). And I would think that the Guardian dog remains, while the population of the herd changes.

Tracey in Australia would be one of the better people on this group to answer the questions. A LGD web BBS would be a better place to place the Questionaire, here you will find basically pet owners who, although they understand the nature of their breed, considered their dogs part of the family.  Therefore the comment that a dead Guardian Dog and an injured predator is preferrable to a smart dog who dealt with the situation as well as she could at this stage in her life, will in all probabilty get  more flames then useable responses to the questionaire.

All of that considered I still take offense at a breeder would place a dog and not take the time to train the people, and then blame human failings on the dog. Preferring any animal dead is just unspeakable.

Tea

Do you Yahoo!?