Re: [pyrnet] Dog attack

on 9/26/02 8:44 AM, Cynthia Willets at tea4c@yahoo.com wrote:

All of that considered I still take offense at a breeder would place a dog
and not take the time to train the people, and then blame human failings on
the dog. Preferring any animal dead is just unspeakable.

My two cents ( my dog is a companion):
That dog is not being respected. Leaving a 7 mo. old pyr to take care a a
herd by herself is like leaving a group of toddlers with a 12 year old and
asking her to make the best judgemnt when a group of marauders come to the
door.
Some other things to think about, (I might be way off base since my dog
doesn't guard livestock):
Maybe the dog should get a new flock to guard since it's current owner is
not happy with it anyway.

Somehow I had the impression that a reputable breeder would take back a dog
without great fuss if things were not working out, I think this is also for
the dog's safety.

Why didn't the knowledgable breeder educate the buyer about what a pyr is
capable of at each stage in maturation?
I feel badly for the little girl; she may have screwed up, but her person
was supposed to be working with her.

Joan