Re: [pyrnet] travel question

Susan,

I have to agree with Michele.  I called my mom and asked her about when she
takes Sam to Florida with her--we're in Pennsylvania--and that was her list
as well.  I know from living there that the fleas are nasty and active all
year round; if your Pyrs only get a 6 month dose of whatever preventative
you use, maybe your vet can give you a booster, or get a good collar.  Most
of Florida is air conditioned for the really hot times, but extra water
never hurts and shade is a must.  I don't know if it'll cause them to blow
their coats early--Sam didn't--but you will probably need to brush more the
first few days.

Mom also suggested paying special attention to the legs, feet and tail when
you brush--the native vegetation can get really irritating as it includes a
number of varieties of burrs, nettles, and other sticking, stinging plants.

Mom's tips for driving that long distance with a Pyr pretty much boil down
to lots of water, lots of potty breaks, and get on the highway quick.  I
dunno how yours take to stop-and-go traffic, but Sam hates it.

In all, Sam hasn't had any problems in his numerous visits to the South.
Good luck with your guys!

Jess &:
Sam the Pyr (part-time); Elric & Tooki (cats); Caramun & Raistlin (bunnies);
 and Methos the black bear hamster
Levittown PA
woods@davor.com