Re: [pyrnet] Re: chat: guarding instincts...

pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org writes:
>What can I tell him about our beloved pyrs that
>will convince him that though they are very gentle (which he has witnessed
>over the yrs.), they can be very menacing when needed.
I don't know what you can tell him, Tery, but you're absolutely right--no
way could you even have restrained your dogs had someone actually hit your
husband. It takes a lot to provoke them, and they like to bluff out a
situation first, but they won't allow harm to come to their "flock." I
wondered about Paddington when he was a puppy, because he was everyone's
buddy, but at about 6-7 months, he started giving a low growl one night
when I was out walking him. There was someone coming up behind us. He
stopped and would not budge until the person had passed--that way Paddy
could keep an eye on him. Twice in his life he indicated a real dislike of
someone, and in both instances we later found out some info about the
person that confirmed Paddington's judgment that they should not be
trusted. These dogs are really extraordinary in terms of both perception
and restraint.
Ann, Peg, Ivy Rose, Tori and Blair