Re: RE: [pyrnet] chat:Pet Fair~~an unusal happening

I would be interested to know if the do was actually known to be a
wolf/coyote cross (or even a high content wolf) or whether that was just
conjecture.  I ask as firstly even high content wolf would be rare to have
out in a public place like this.  Most 'wolfdogs'  you would see out and
about in public are for the most part pretty low content (and sometimes
none!).  Wolf/coyote cross is not unheard of though - it is conjectured that
the Red Wolf is actually a result of such intermingling.

As for the big black dogs - mine have no problem with them as such.  Often I
think dogs can pick up on the prejudices of their owners (owners tense even
subconsciously and the dogs pick up on that) or they react to body language.
Very 'upright' dogs (pricked ears, wheeled tail, up on toes often stilted
gait) can be at a disadvantage when it comes to body language as their whole
demeanour is 'assertive' and indicates a challenge - Akitas, Malemutes, and
Airedales for example.  Past experience can play a part too.  My Dalmatian
as a youngster was attacked by a Border Collie at a show (got away from its
owner in the carpark).  She has since been very wary of this breed though
plays happily with other black dogs.

Tracy Bassett
Murrumbateman, Australia
espinay@bigpond.com