RE: [pyrnet] pyr smiles

> I have noticed that even though pyr's are very large dogs, you would
> think they would be high strung, like other large breed dogs.

I'm curious why you think very large dogs are high strung.  If by very
large, you mean giant, with which Pyrs are classified (although they are
the smaller of the giant breeds), their activity level is similar to other
giant breeds, most of which are cuddlers and generally quiet, at least in
the house.  If you are comparing them to labs and shepherds that's a whole
different story, but they aren't in that category.

Don't get
> me wrong, "Rex" does have his big dog moments, but overall "Rex" really
> enjoys it when you hold his head up with one hand and lightly stroke the
> bridge of his nose upwards to his forehead with the other hand.  "Rex"
> will sit with his eyes shut while do this and listen to me say "you are
> your momma's baby, yes you are the baby"  I would just think this type
> of behavior would come from poodles!  In fact, if I had a bigger lap
> "Rex" would probably sit on it while I petted him?

Anais, who is now 4 years old, actually does sit in my lap from time to
time while I pet her.  She more often sits on the edge of the chair that I
am sitting on or the edge of the bed or stands across my lap, which she is
just tall enough to do.  She will stand next to me for quite a while for me
to pet her or put my arms around her neck and hug her and bury my face in
her coat.  She is never pushy about it, though.  If I stop petting her, she
just goes and lays down.

 Is this strange pyr
> behavior?

It doesn't sound strange to me, but Anais is my first Pyr.  Pyrs are the
most wonderful dogs!

Stephanie, Ciaran (IW), Anais (Pyr) and Maggie (IW)