From: Mplwy14@wmconnect.com [mailto:Mplwy14@wmconnect.com]
Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 12:09 PM
To: pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org
Subject: Re: [pyrnet] Re: Beau the leaking puppy...

Hi Frank,  {big grin  :-D}

I think the biggest thing to be concerned with (in any breed of dog) is that she is a good deal older and heavier than he and his joints are still growing....her's are too but he's not over exerting her.

It's fine that they play, he should just not be allowed to overdo it.  No real strong wrestling or playing, running, whatever for a long period of time.  Some wrestling and play, etc. is very good for their joints and muscles but too much can cause problems down the road.

I've not had a lot of experience with Pits myself but our neighbors have an older pup they found abandoned.  So far he's very sweet and playful.  We also had a Rott that we purchased at two-years-old.  She'd already been through several owners but loved people....and rocks....the only trouble we had was if she got around cats but we've had that problem with my Aunt's Samoyed, my Mom's German Shepherd, my Uncle and our Redbone Coonhounds and even some of our Pyrs don't really seem to "like" some of our cats.

I think it depends on the dog's bloodlines, how it's raised, its own personality somewhat *and* a particular situation.  Below is a link to our foundation Cocker bitch.  (I really don't like that word even if we are "supposed" to use it in the dog world to look like we know what we're talking about, so....female).  Meka was killed by my Aunt's Golden Retriever and their Redbone/Golden mix.  So you see, it's really not the breed.

Chrissy