From: Ray & Jo
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 9:53 AM
Subject: Re: [pyrnet] Food issues

Hi. Jenn, I also think that you are bathing your Pyr pup too often, I have never felt the need, our Toby gets lots of brushing, people always comment on how clean he looks, and that we must bathe him all of the time, not so.
I just wanted to comment on the Nutro Large Puppy, we have a 9 month old Golden puppy who has been on this puppy food and she absolutely loves it, she has never had a problem with it, just this last week or so we have been introducing the Large Breed Adult which she is enjoying equally as well.  Now maybe Goldens have a reputation for being greedy but I post on Canadian Goldens and there are always people that have problems with finicky eaters and only today, a no nonsense breeder, came forth to say that we as owners dance to their tune too much and that she had never heard of a Golden starve to death because he didn't fancy what he was being fed, so the consensus is you put the food down, if it is not eaten, take it away until the next meal time. If the food hasn't been moistened then I guess it can be used again. I think the theory is if we keep doctoring with all kinds of tasty morsels, of goodness knows what, we are sending the wrong message. I feel a bit of a hypocrite at this point because my husband insists on giving our Pyr(9yrs.) cooked chicken on his food, not because he is finicky and won't eat his food but "just because". Now maybe Pyrs are a bit more stubborn and might just starve themselves but I doubt it. I am just surprised that the Nutro Large Puppy isn't tempting this picky eater, to keep changing kibble can be so expensive and you might never achieve the optimum results, stick with Nutro if you can. Good luck.

Margaret(Jo)