RE: [pyrnet] Birth Announcement

<<  hello, Everyone! Dant Ta Dan... he's here! We've just brought our new baby home. Avalanche " Dante " Brazeal is 5 weeks old. >>

Betty, Congrats on your new puppy!

I believe my first Pyr was around 5 weeks old, even though the breeder told me he was older. Live and Learn! When I brough my current Pyr home as a pup, he was about double the size of my first one. I raised my first Pyr on kibble moistenened with a little warm water. I have read on this list, that you only want to feed puppy food for the first 6 months because of the high protein content and then you switch to regular adult food. Make sure you keep him away from other dogs (that includes keeping him away from where other dogs have been and people that have dogs) until he has his shots. Once he has his shots, make sure you socialize him with people and other dogs, but make sure he is kept away from roughhousing until he is much larger.

Some other things I have heard are...
        Don't let him jump down from high places, like the back of an suv. I lifted Pico in and out until he was about 9 months.
        Don't take him on overly long walks for the first year - he won't know when to quit.
        Don't get all excited because he has not messed in the house yet - he will! Buy yourself some Nature's Miracle, it works very well.
        Take him out after every meal, every play time and after every nap.
        Think about crate training him - I didn't do it with my first puppy and did do it with my second. It worked very well. I definitly had to buy fewer replacement shoes and house training seemed to go easier.
        Don't let him do anything you wouldn't want a 130 lb dog doing - no biting, jumping up on people.
        On the other hand, this is an excellent time to get hime used to brushing, nail clipping, ear cleaning. Even if not needed, just handle him (like you could resist)

Love the puppy - there is nothing better than sitting with a sleeping little puppy in your lap - he will not be this size for long - i think Pico grew about 10 lbs a month.

Elaine and Pico