Re: [pyrnet] CARE: Moving to a new home

My last move involved moving three dogs from Pennsylvania to New Hampshire.
We were consolidating two houses in PA into one in NH.  Due to short notice
on the closing date in the summer, I could not board them so they drove up
with us, got to visit the house and yard and then went back to Pennsylvania
again.   They went to the kennel for the actual movers visit to one house
after its sale and stayed there while we and all the stuff drove to New
Hampshire and moved the boxes and furniture into place.   I went back to PA
and retrieved them and again drove them to NH.  Since their beds, toys and
much of the familiar furniture was already there, they were ok.  I did lose
one of the dogs for about three hours in the house though, he kept wandering
one way while I wandered the other way, I could hear him and he could hear
me but with three stairways, we just kept circling until he laid down and
stayed in one place.  The layout of the house led to a minor problem in one
room where we stored a lot of boxes but did not really move in - one dog,
not sure which one -  thought it was ok to poop there, so be sure the dog
knows you live in all of the rooms.

While the dogs were still at the kennel, we had fence repairs done.  If the
dogs had gotten out, they would not have had a clue how to come back.  A few
weeks later we discovered that we had to keep the back gate locked, because
a neighbor came in to pick all the peaches off the tree and left the gate
open.  By this time the dogs had been walked around the neighborhood  so
they did not stray far, but it was very scary for me.  It seems the previous
owner had said it was ok....   So be on the look out for any neighborhood
oddities about the fence or fruit trees or whatever.