Re: [pyrnet] CARE: Moving to a new home

<The layout of the house led to a minor problem in
one room where we stored a lot of boxes but did not
really move in - one dog,not sure which one -  thought
it was ok to poop there, so be sure the dog knows you
live in all of the rooms.>

This is a concern of mine.  Although the new place is
much smaller, I think it will take her a couple of
days to "get a feel for it".  The way the house is set
up, the master bedroom is just off of the kitchen and
I can isolate that area from the rest of the hose.  I
was thinking that for the first couple of days after
we move in, I might put the baby-gate across the
kitchen door at night or when I couldn't supervise her
100%.  That way she would have access to our bedroom
and the kitchen, but not the rest of the house.  She
greatly respects that silly little gate, and wouldn't
dream of trying to go across it.  It might also be a
reinforcement of "home", since we've used that gate
since she was a pup to keep her in the kitchen the odd
times that it was necessary.

<While the dogs were still at the kennel, we had fence
repairs done.  If the dogs had gotten out, they would
not have had a clue how to come back.  A few weeks
later we discovered that we had to keep the back gate
locked>

This is my MAJOR concern!  Since the fence runs around
the entire perimeter of the property, the gate will
have to be opened to allow a car to get into the
driveway, or a person to come to the front door.
That's one of the reasons I want to add additional
fencing ASAP.  In our current house, we keep the gate
to the backyard chained and padlocked and she doesn't
have access to the front at all.  It's not a problem
here since we don't have to go through the backyard to
get into the driveway or get in the front door.  I'm
worried sick that someone will open one of the gates
without my knowledge and she'll get out.  I guess that
I'll have to keep the gates locked, and we will have
to deal with locking and unlocking them everytime we
come and go.

We're not moving a great distance, so most of the
moving will be done in bits and pieces prior to the
big day when we move the furniture.  We're renting a
truck and moving it ourselves.  In a way, it would be
easier to bring Gypsy into the house after all of the
furniture and stuff was already in.  Alas, it won't
work out that way.  On moving day, I plan on keeping
her at my side and leashed until all of the moving is
done.  Although we don't do it often, sometimes I have
lots of family over and have to keep her by my side so
that she doesn't accidentally knock over a small
child, so she's not unfamiliar with that arrangement.
Hopefully we won't have any mishaps!

Jeanne Bravin
Port Jefferson Station, NY
GypsyunLTD@yahoo.com