[pyrnet] Polar Curtain

Here's a "cool" idea for the summer months:

One month ago we moved to 10 acres in Jupiter Farms Florida and while the total 10 acres is completely fenced, I did not want my dogs to have total use of the property (lake included) ALL of the time so I had 1/2 acre in back of the house farm fenced so I could let them out in a limited area at night, etc.
I found that I was constantly letting someone in or out and a "normal" doggie door would not work, so this is what I did and it may be useful to some multiple dog households...

I went to the local restaurant supply store and purchased a "Polar Curtain".  It measures 40 inches by 80 inches high and is used for commercial freezers to keep the cold are in the walk-in freezers.  I use it reversely, to keep the cold air in the house and the bugs out.  The dogs walk right through the six inch slats that overlap (they found it odd at first), but I think it is a sensible way for a multiple dog household (I have 6 Pyrs, 1 Kuvasz, an Aussie Mix, a Tibetan Terrier, and a Beardied Collie and we often have visitors...)

The Polar Curtain idea is one that many may find to be a great one.  It conserves energy, however, it may put some doormen out of a job (giggle)!
It may also help with aggression issues as more than one dog can go through at a time.  I have friends with two dogs and have seen them get stuck when they both try to go through at the same time.

Its installation is two brackets that hold up the rod that the slats of PVC are held on.  They are about six inches wide and overlap on each side, they are thick and durable and clear.  It is really well made and has held up here so far for one month (with up to nineteen dogs :).  You can install it over a French or regular door or sliding glass doors (even places where it is impossible to install a doggie door) by only drilling four holes - two for each bracket.  At a price of $139.00 it is cheaper than most doggie doors, too.  Also, it was suggested to clean it you can just throw it in the pool, although I usually use only window cleaner so far (George Foreman's KNOCKOUT window cleaner works wonderfully).

Stay cool!
.

Lisa
Oliver (Beardie), Derby (Aussie), Jelly (Tibetan Terrier), Taffy (Kuvasz)
Sophie, Baloo, CeeCee, Tonka, Cubbie, & TrixieSueFrances (Great Pyrenees)
ALL RESCUED!
Oliver's House, Incorporated - 561.379.8328 - oliverslb@aol.com
"Dedicated to the rescue, rehabililitation, and placement of dogs in Palm Beach County"