[pyrnet] collars

Steel chokes are the best all around "walking" collars.  Maybe you are using a very small link, the smaller the link the more it gets caught in the fur.  Make sure that the collar fits well... when it is RIGHT behind the ears, AND you can see it when you turn your dogs muzzle skyward, right under the "chin".... you should have NO MORE than 2 inch of slack.  The collar needs to STAY in that position the entire time you are using it.   We never keep steel chokes on the dog full time (ie, to carry ID tags...)  DON'T let it slide down the neck, it just becomes a pulling harness that way.

Remember.... REGARDING STEEL CHOKE COLLARS....  When you are walking with a choke and a leash, there should ALWAYS BE SLACK IN THE LEASH, unless you are making a correction.  The only problem with choke collars is the misuse of them.  They are effective, cheap, and invaluable training tools.  You have to make immediate and sharp corrections, then there should be slack and praise.  It is an easy and effective system!

If you are very comfortable with the steel collar, you may wish to change to a nylon choke collar.  We often use these for showing, but there are many different sizes, and they do much less damage to the coat.

It has been my experience as a dog trainer for various clubs, that the prong collar has gone from an occasion tool for experienced trainers to being generally recommended to newer and more inexperienced dog handlers that are having problems mastering a steel choke.  I would never recommend using a buckle collar for training... unless you really like to be pulled around!  LOL

I'm sure that there are some disagreements, what do you think, Charlotte and Peggy?!!

-Tami Green