Re: [pyrnet] FW: CHAT, RESCUE: CNN Puppy Buying Story

On 11 May 2006 at 21:12, Poppagib@aol.com wrote:

> Sometimes the checks, rescue "rules", are good and sometimes they
> hamper  placement of dogs.  For example there is a group in Illinois
> that states  ...........on all their dogs that they must be treated as
> house  pets and kept in a fenced yard.  To me that is ludicrous.  I
> have a  little over 200 acres and my dogs are outside and busy all the
> time.  This  group would not even talk to me as I do not keep them
> inside and inside a fenced  yard!

What is important is that not all rescue groups have the ability to
evaluate a Great Pyrenees as a LGD.  Since the Great Pyrenees is a
territorial breed, they do require good fencing.  I assume from your
previous statements that your Pyrs are LGD's ?  Don't lump all rescue
groups together and that is certainly not a valid reason to bash rescue.
My rescue group is very fortunate to have an experienced foster home
with livestock and we are able to evaluate rescue Pyrs as LGD's. This is
the only hope for some of these rescues!  Some of the Pyr's
temperaments are certainly not suitable as pet/companions!  And some
are definitely not suitable as LGD's. If one rescue group does not meet
your needs, then contact the GPCA Rescue Coordinator for your region,
or contact the GPCA Breeder Referral Service for responsible breeders
of Pet/Companions, Breeding-Show Quality, or LGD's.  Great Pyrenees
Rescue is working to the limit to clean up the mess caused by
irresponsible breeders, such as the one that let this sweet
pet/companion female end up in a shelter. Praise the dedicated folks
who do Pyr Rescue and just maybe you would like to offer support to
these dedicated rescue people?

Judith S. Miller
Northern New Mexico Great Pyrenees Rescue
jsmiller@newmex.com