Re: [pyrnet] Agressive behavior

When you said "Ben actually bit him" do you mean in anger, or was he just playing?  I am not a behavioral expert, or a professional trainer, and am probably doing things all wrong, but when Bear (my white furball) steals something and runs with it, and I run after him and grab it back, he will bite me in a playful way and jump around like a nut.  By the same token, if I tell him no on something, he instantly obeys, I can take anything, even dead squirrels, rawhide, jerky, you name it away from him when we are being serious without him doing anything but going into a submissive posture.  He will, however, not back down to any other dog we have met which can be a problem at times at the dog park when he meets another alpha, but we control that also.  I have never, ever, spanked him or done more to scold him than maintain eye contact and speak in a stern voice.  I think (and I could be very wrong but it's just what has worked for me) that you learn to watch for signs that your pup is trying to move up the pecking order (past you), and quash those tendancies immediately through things like making him sit before he gets to do something fun, go outside, etc....just little things so that there is no doubt in his mind that you are in charge.  Bear is three and a half years old, and, apart from the "aww dad do I have to" looks he gives me sometimes, we haven't had any troubles for more than a year.   Just my two cents...good luck

Our only problem is aggression when Ben "steals" something like a sock or hand towel.  You can tell he's very pleased with himself when he finds a stray sock or manages to sneak in the kitchen for a towel from the counter.  But, getting it back from him is tough.
So last night we tried just scolding, and when my husband reached for the sock, Ben actually bit him.  We have always tried to make sure Ben knows his place in our home.  He doesn't sleep on our bed, or even in our room.  He doesn't eat table food.  He's required to sit before getting a bone.