Re: [pyrnet] When Pyrs Shed

Thank you all so much for your advice. I'll go get her some fish oil today, and give her a therapeutic bath.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Heather" <standingoak@sympatico.ca>
To: <pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 11:54 AM
Subject: Re: [pyrnet] When Pyrs Shed

A veg oil such as olive oil or canola or any of those will not do as much for your dog as say salmon oil or marine fish oil. You are looking to up her omega 3's not 6's. Carnivores process fats on a different level than we do. Dry skin, is a symptom of something lacking in diet or an immune response to the Frontline. The easy fix might be to try a high quality fish oil and see where you have to go from there.
JMO
Ciao
Heather
Shakespeare and Mushu raw fed pyrs.

We adopted Athena when we were living in Santa Barbara, she was 10 months at the time. We've lived in a much warmer climate now for the past 4 years, and have never seen her shed so dramatically. Our concern is that in some areas her skin is irritated, and she smells, which has never occurred in the past. I've been putting olive oil in her food, hoping it would alleviate any dryness that may be causing the irritation, but so far it hasn't helped. Is there a medicated shampoo that I should use that would help? She is on Frontline for fleas and ticks, so I don't think that's the problem. Thanks.