Re: [WW] WW/Great Rail Wars (long) [PEG]

>From: "jon paulson" <jepaulson@hotmail.com>
>To: weirdwars@gamerz.net
>Subject: [WW]  WW/Great Rail Wars
>Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 18:45:21
>

>>Are the miniatures just for use in the roleplaying game?  Or is there
>>consideration for a miniatures game?  I think a 28mm scale skirmish level
>>WWII miniatures game would go over well!  ANd it would only require some
>>modification of an existing outstanding miniatures game (*cough*
>>Great Rail Wars *cough*)
>

>The first idea I thought of was that Steve was out of his mind, since the
>weapons in GRW are so basic.  But he's a genius in disguise. Actually, a
>lot
>of the ideas would work--for instance using gizmos for high tech weapons,
>but the points cost would have to be seriously adjusted.  There would need
>to be some sort of "pinning fire" rules to reflect the serious amount of
>spent shell casings fired.  Auto-fire weapons might need to be added in too
>(personally, I would use that autofire template from VOR--it's quick, it's
>easy).  Since we're talking about small squads or individuals, it wouldn't
>be that much of a stretch to convert.  Many of the abilities could be used
>straight up and GRW moves along a lot faster than Battleground WWII.  Vor
>reminds me more of modern combat and each figure in that game acts more
>like
>an individual there.
>
>BTW, the minis made by Harlequin/Icon and Battle Honors are very cool and
>could be easily converted.  They're cheap, too.
>SO... who is going to start work on this huge project?

I have already given consideration to this subject, and I am considering
posting a website about it, with PEG's blessing.  Here are my initial
thoughts.

1. Will PEG have a "big picture" storyline? this could significant to troop
types available.
2. Americans would basically be USA Troopers with gatling rifles. (gatling
rifles are basically SMG's)  Their list would also include OSI troops
(Agency w/Occult)
Also the US would be allowed hucksters and blessed.
3. Russians would have a "old world" feel, which would include wolves and
nosferatu and witches.  Russian soldiers would have the stats of gunmen.
4. The krauts would have CSA troopers, walkin' dead and automatons.  They
would also be allowed sorcerers.
5. An optional "Gear Krieg" rule allowing the neat walker type models from
Games Workshop: you could use the derailed rules.
6. New special ability- Lycanthrope.  All heros (and the German SS) would
become Werewolves on a red joker, and turn back on black jokers- use Loot!
markers where they leave their gear, so they can get it back.
7. I don't have anything for the Brits, but I am open to suggetions.
8. Generic troops: Snipers, heavy weapons and conscripts- more on this
later.
9. Heavy weapons would be slightly cheaper for Germans if it was to be
historically correct (at least on the Eastern Front).
10. I don't think there should be any changes to the basic rules except
maybe fate chips. A optional system is being considered using bidding and
cigarettes (candy or whatever).
11. The reason I would like PEG's blessing is that to post "official rules"
would assume they are letting me use GRW as "open source" although the site
would not include any rules, it would need a new wepon list and use stats
from the game.

-Chad