Re: [WW] How to make the D20 system better [A Little OT]

Must . . . remain. . . quiet. . .

Nah.

 >The problem as I see it is that Hasbro is in it only for the money.  In
 >their feeble minds, they figure that if you have to buy their stuff to
 >play other games, then you will buy their stuff.

Well - yeah.  The first thing, though - there is a difference between
Hasbro and WotC.  Now, I am not a fan of WotC, but it's for other reasons
outside of their desire to make a profit.

A game company that does not break even will go out of business.  A game
company that only breaks even will slowly go out of business.

I've had limited exposure to Ryan Dancey, but what I've heard is that he
too is a "true believer" in gaming - it's just that his spin is that good
business is what will keep the gaming industry alive.  An opinion that is
somewhat borne out by the number of game companies in the ole'
graveyard.  Company's like FASA - to name a shocking and recent addition.

 > What they fail to
 >realize is that the average gamer is on a limited budget, and the more
 >expensive a game is, the less likely they are to buy it.

A fact not borne out by buying data.  Or would you say that Magic and
Warhammer sales have suffered for incredible expense required to play?  Or
ask any store owner how well the $25 96 page DnD Splatbooks have been
selling compared to the $20 128 page supplements for non d20 game systems.

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/

The magistrate should obey the Laws, the People should obey the magistrate.
                 -Poor Richard's Almanac 1734