Re: [WW] PBEM - Call for discussion

I'm against having it on here, as well, but just thought I'd share some
reasonings.

Arne Reuter wrote:
> 1. To pick up the stragglers, who might have missed the move (of 10
> people interested, only 6 so far actually made characters. Except for
> Dan, who just now said he wasn't going to have time I had not heard
> from the others.

I can understand that, but from all other PBeMs I've been on those
people would be e-mailed individually, off of ANY mailing list.  Some
people filter their mail and might not read the lists while keeping up
on personal mail.

> 2. To enliven this list - sometimes it gets awfully quiet and I felt
> our posts would add to it by transporting some of the atmosphere to
> this list. Actually something different - as we take a twist and play
> on the Axis side.

I don't think, personally, that the list needs more enlivening, but
that's just me.

> 3. Within in the game (which has just started) of course quite a bit
> of handling of mechanics is cropping up, which I thought to share in
> order to give other WMs some support on how to run their own campaigns
> (or at least some ideas - pick your own poison).

Those can easily be put together into a shorter e-mail and sent to the
list separately.  I'd be more likely to read a "We've had these
problems" mail than a whole bunch of PBeMs to see what they've run into.

> 4. For some dumb reason I thought people on the list might actually
> like reading about people actually playing ;-) (I loved the account of
> Matt Smith's playsession). And trying to get some quality of writing
> (English/German) into it, I hoped to give others some ideas on how to
> use foreign language elements in their games.

Some people do.  I generally scan such messages for some ideas but for
the most part I find in depth descriptions of the games to be only
barely more interesting than "Let me tell you about my character".

SeanMike