[WW] Animosity

This is actually an on topic post and not a critique
of anyone, any recent events, or any countries. Okay?

America fully entered the war at the end of 1941. This
appears true even in Weird Wars.

When the troops did start flowing into the active
theatres they weren't always greeted with enthusiastic
bliss by the rest of us.

Comments ranged from "Thank God you're here" to "where
the hell have you been?" "Finally come to join the
rest of us have you?" "Same as the last war, all mouth
and trousers." "Over sexed, over paid, worst of all -
over here," and so on.

Britain and her allies had been hurting badly up to
this point. Rationing was the law and not an option.
Case in point, back where I'm from, New Zealand
experienced extreme rationing as over 85% of our GDP
was being exported over-seas to support the war
effort. The vast majority of this production was
agricultural in nature. Together with Australia,
Canada, and others, we were feeding the Empire. Later
on our food was found feeding the troops waiting in
England destined to land in Normandy.

America, so it seems as I am certainly not an expert
in her history, did not suffer as such domestically.
Again I mention that this is not a critique or damning
accusation. Merely a basis to explain some behaviour
experienced by American soldiers. She was not hungry,
was not under threat of invasion (other than
immediately after Pearl Harbour), she was not seeing
her loved ones hauled off to parts unknown (other than
the American-Japanese immediately after Pearl
Harbour), and was not focused on survival to the
denial of all other goals.

As such, American air crews and soldiers arrived in
England with a lot of money (in comparison), a lot of
material goods, and the expectation that life was the
same as at home.

To Bill Bloggs in the street this behaviour was
insulting and demeaning. They did not have much, could
not have much, and were angered by the lack.

To refer to the New Zealand situation again. While our
manpower was in Africa and Italy doing their bit
suddenly husbands and sons were confronted with the
idea that the homeland 10,000 kilometres away was
being populated by a whole lot of idle (as the pacific
theatre was only just heating up at the time) rich
Americans with their eyes on our women. No-one has
ever accused blokes as being entirely rational as to
the world around them, especially ANZAC blokes.

So, in their eyes, while they were off giving their
all to King and Country, the Yanks (or "septic's",
contraction Cockney slang of "septic tank") were back
home living the high life and stealing their women.

So when the troops did arrive they weren't always
greeted with open arms nor full co-operation. This was
true on both sides of the prejudice fence. When
Operation Torch was kicked off (Africa invasion behind
Rommel's lines by American troops) the commanding
officers at the time did not listen to advice from the
British lines as to the danger the German troops
presented and thus were soundly defeated for the first
few engagements. Rommel proved once more that he was
quite capable of running his enemy ragged.

Co-operation was strained at best, non-existent at
worst (think Montgommery versus Patton), and generally
poor in general. Things improved of course.

So in what ever time you set your Weird War game, be
it from Normandy or from earlier times, keep in mind
that the PC's can be quite readily reminded of their
place in the universe. Perhaps stage a few encounters
before D-Day, as they relax in a pub back in Pommy
land. Introduce them into the combat system with a pub
brawl or two against either local thugs or perhaps
other servicemen on leave. Have two patrols (one
American and one Empire) encounter one and another out
in the field. Butt heads and generally make trouble.
See who can keep their temper.

A side note - the Lend/Lease program. It was seen by
some as selling their souls for survival. For example,
in exchange for obsolete destroyers basing rights were
handed out as swiftly as possible. It wasn't seen as a
gift as much as a forced obligation. Here, have some
of these but in return I'd like........  When it's
your arse on the line what else could you do but
accept?

Again, to reiterate. This post is merely to set the
scene for potential meetings between PC's and some of
the populace around them. This not a critique on
recent events, people, religions, places, or posts.

Cheers,
Mr. B

If my father-in-law comes up just once more time with
"if it wasn't for us you'd be speaking German" I'm
going to do more than hit him.